This is a series of blogs starting from the day I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma. If you want to start at the beginning then please follow this link:

Weeks 2 to 6

The last four weeks have been amazingly hard as well as fantastic. I have been at two ends of that spectrum on a daily basis. It is incredible what an operation does to you. The exhaustion that follows surgery makes you feel vulnerable as your independence fails and you need help for so many things. On the other hand, it sets the hurdles that become sequential challenges on the way to recovery.

The second week really reset my own barometer as to what I should expect to do for the first few weeks.  Simple tasks such as brushing my teeth, having a shower and having breakfast remained major challenges. Sleep became a necessity and I slept most of the day just waking up to be fed. Cleaning the house, cooking and ironing were not a priority.

I have a wonderful neighbour who visits everyday and has made me (yes made me) go for a walk as long as the weather is good. I am glad that I have not bumped into anyone else for the first few weeks as I have been out wearing pyjamas and a coat.  Just walking to the end of the drive seems such an achievement and walking to the end of the road feels like finishing a marathon. Even though it is cold, I am wearing my flat open toe shoes which is my excuse not to go for a walk when it rains. I think it was in week three that I tried wearing my heels in the bedroom as a test run. I haven’t tried since.

The children have been home which has been a welcome distraction. I cannot believe that they have finished their second term at University. My parents used to say that time seems to pass by quicker the older you get. I think I finally understand what they meant. This year is a milestone as both boys went to University at the same time and the ’empty nest feeling’ became an entity.

I think back to the start. When we found out in October that I had an acoustic neuroma, we made a decision to let the family know when we had made a decision as to when and what we were going to do. Telling the children seemed to be a special hurdle and I really did not want to tell them. It seemed wrong to tell them during their first term at University when they should be having the time of their lives so we decided we would tell them when they came home for Christmas. Even then, I tried to get out of it. There just seemed to be so many things going on which were perfect excuses. We spent the first weekend of their Christmas break at my in laws at a Christmas party. The next week was busy as I was on call and then it was a friend’s birthday party the following Saturday. We had a family dinner on the Sunday and the boys went upstairs to play computer games when we decided we really did have to tell them as otherwise it might ruin Christmas. My husband called them down saying that there was something that we both needed to discuss with them.

Eventually they both came down and my husband explained what was going on, my diagnosis, the need for an operation and potential complications. Neither boy seemed phased by this, were very supportive and said they would take time off from their studies during this time. The oldest one seemed perturbed and then declared ‘You know we thought you were going to tell us something else’.  Then he explained what he meant. He had noticed that I had not drunk alcohol at both parties and that I was and looked tired. In addition, as my balance became much worse when it was dark, my husband had helped me back to the car the night before, he had noticed that Daddy had become VERY lovey dovey! There was clearly only one reason for all of this – I must be pregnant, after all the boys had left us on our own for ten weeks!!!!! And apparently, this would have been a more disastrous scenario than the diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma. I am not sure why we had been so reticent in telling them as they took the information in their stride and have just been wonderful.

I managed to avoid visitors during the last few weeks as trying to socialise continues to be tiring. Very good friends and immediate family have come to visit and looked after themselves, making me tea and bringing even more flowers and chocolates. My hearing started becoming an issue. I seem to have lost the ability to isolate the direction of sound as well as hear when there is lots of background noise. The noise generated by a handful of visitors caused a headache and was irritating as I could not follow a conversation in the room. I needed to pace myself as I certainly developed more symptoms when I was tired; my balance changes and the side of my head becomes increasingly more painful. The more I slept, the better my symptoms seemed to be.

After four weeks my friend decided I needed to go out as I was going stir crazy! She pushed me hard and finally got me to say yes. We decided to aim for afternoon tea at a local tea shop. She had chosen one that would be quiet and also would require the least amount of walking. I pulled on trousers and a top, washed my hair and dried it but still could not summon the energy for make up sadly. I looked in the mirror and still looked exhausted. I went grey around 30 and normally have to dye my hair every 6 weeks. Men with grey hair seem chic whilst women look a little old unless they can wear the look well. As I am not allowed to dye my hair for 8 weeks, I was developing a real badger streak but there was nothing I could do about it in the short-term. I had also noticed that the side of my scalp on the operated side was slightly numb and was more sensitive to changes in temperature. A good scarf seemed to manage this problem so I ventured out wrapped up warm and cosy.

I was driven down to Headley and we went to a really lovely small tea room and village shop. It was perfect, no one else was around and we had the table by the window just as the sun came out. We ordered scones with jam and tea although I could have quite happily order the whole menu. The scones were freshly baked and warm. The butter was just soft enough to spread and there was heaps of home-made jam. The tea was served in a mish mash of old china crockery which matched by the fact it was all vintage. What was not to love? We spent several hours chatting and I felt amazing! If I could do this once, I could do this again.

tea room.png

I spent the next few days recovering as my energy reserve seem to be at an all time low. It was almost as if my energy was rationed, if I used too much energy on one day, I would have to pay back on another.

I developed small ways of keeping myself busy over these few weeks. I have (with help) put all the flowers I have received into silica gel so that they will dry. This has been trial and error but we seem to be getting better at it. As the flowers dry, they have been stored in plastic boxes in my kitchen and it now looks as if I have a workshop rather than a kitchen. I make plans to do something creative with them and have ordered some frames and paper butterflies. If I can make some items, I will sell them for charity at a later date. I also decide I can make rose soaps and candles so order some moulds and wicks. I also decide that I will make the flower pictures for my two boys and keep them as fiftieth birthday presents for them. I therefore order two large frames and borders. Now that all plans are being actioned, I wait for the Amazon deliveries to start arriving!

We really are so lucky to have the two boys. They both came home for Easter to spend time with me but also kept themselves busy. The youngest one has been lambing and has really enjoyed seeing the birth of new life and taking responsibility for decision-making that ensures a good outcome for the sheep and their new lambs. There was sadness too with one lamb being born with a neurological condition that was debilitating and required a humane end to its life. My son was impressed with the passion of the farmer to ensure that his flock got the best care and start to life.

This joy of life was in contrast to the experience of the oldest who went to Poland with friends to visit the remains of Auschwitz in Poland during the same time period. He recounted the emotions and feelings when visiting the vast area. He described the unimaginable scale and the efficiency of a sheer killing machine which was only understood when you visited in person. He was clearly moved and could not understand how such evil could have been inflicted on so many.

Having been through surgery and feeling as if I have been given another chance at life, I feel even more emotional at the evil that still exists in society. The lessons of the past need to be remembered to ensure we do not drift into further atrocities. We need to stand united and enjoy each other’s differences and do what we can do to influence in our small circle, hoping that the positivity flows out and gains momentum.

Wishing for peace in the World.





5 thoughts on “Realisation

  1. My impression, and it is no more than this, is that recovery is exponential; a lot of progress early on, then things slow but still continue. It’s quite remarkable just how much an operation can take out of you. I trust that you continue to improve.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s